Friday, April 29, 2005

Learning to spin

In my last post, I forgot to mention the fact that my husband is learning to spin. He is using a drop spindle, which is much easier for him to learn on than a spinning wheel. Using some merino x that I carded, he is doing quite well for a beginner spinner. Of course, he desires to knit gloves from this!

Oh dear, I just don't do well with holding more than two knitting needles at a time and circular needles do not come in such small sizes with the cables that are attached and I told him that he would have to have someone else teach him how to knit gloves.

He would pick something that difficult to "learn" for a first knitting project. I suggested a hat, which would be much simpler, but I don't think that he is listening at the moment. Perhaps later he will reconsider.

I really don't know if he will keep this up, but he seems to spend at least ten minutes a day with the spindle and that is far longer than I would have thought he would keep at it. The spindle, by the way, is one I made and it has quite the spin to it. He is using the park and draft method, I use it myself for some fibers, and while he could let it spin a bit longer to get the twist going, his yarn is progressing nicely.


Free counters provided by Andale.